Rhett's baby blessing was yesterday. We were very grateful that so many family members were able to come. All of his living great-grandparents, his aunt Allison and Uncle Jordan, his uncle Jeff and uncle Andrew, a few of my cousins, uncle Nolan and aunt Diane, his grandpa and grandma Pace, grandpa Donovan and two of our favorite couples from our ward showed up to see the little guy.
My brother Daniel suggested that Spencer go the non-traditional way and bless him with super powers.
We got a little nervous right before the blessing since Rhett started to cry a lot, but Spencer stood in the back with him and he fell right a sleep. The blessing Spencer gave him was beautiful. I am so grateful for an amazing husband who is worthy to bless our kids.
During testimony meeting Rhett woke up and decided it was time to play "the game." You see he will look at you and say "a-goo" and then wait for you to say it back to him. He loves this game and will smile so big when we play it. Last week in Relief Society he wanted to play it but I wouldn't so he got a little sad. But this week during Sacrament meeting as he started to play it and we wouldn't play it with him he started to cry, so Spencer had to again stand in the back of the room with him. He is sure a funny boy
My one regret is not getting up and bearing my testimony, the meeting was very short due to Rhett and another baby blessing, plus a musical number, plus a million and a half announcements. So...I really do know the church is Christs church. I know the priesthood is real and what a blessing from our Father in Heaven it is to be able to have that power in our lives. I think every parent thinks there child is a miracle but lately I have especially thought this. When we decided that we felt right to start our family I was terrified, not to actually have a baby, (I think I've taken care of enough crazy crack/meth addict babies in my life that a normal baby is so much easier) but I was so afraid that the medication I was taking would harm our baby. But we went to the temple and basically the spirit told me that I needed to have more faith and trust in God and his plan for our family and he would give us a healthy baby. During my pregnancy I was told multiple times that I wasn't gaining enough weight, again I was nervous that our baby would not be developed properly due to my lack of weight gain or the random weird medical issues I have. Again though I was reminded when we went to the temple that I just needed to trust in Gods plan and what ever happened was supposed to happen. I am so grateful for the plan of salvation and knowing that if Spencer and I keep our covenants that our little Rhett will be with us forever. All we need to do is trust in God and his timing a little bit more.
After church everyone came to our little apartment for food. Some of my favorite moments were when my dad was looking at some genealogy things on the computer and my grandma said "it doesn't let you look up people who aren't dead yet that's why you couldn't see Katherine. See I just talked to Katherine so she's not dead yet"'
I went into the kitchen to talk to our friends and there was my grandfather. He looked like he was hiding in the corner. Then I noticed he was stuffing his face full of brownies. I asked him if he was hiding from grandma so he could eat the brownies, he said he sure was and then put a few more in his mouth. My grandma doesn't let my grandpa eat sweats due to his diabetes. But that 91 year old man is sure sneaky and when he wants a brownie he finds a way to hide and eat plenty of them.
My dad taught my cousin Diana how to tell her boyfriend that she loved him and then basically to make out with him and then to purpose to him. My dad also had a conversation with her boyfriend at church on how girls like a smooth face and not a prickly face. My dad is awesome!
Oh and a gathering wouldn't be complete without having a long conversation on belly buttons and aliens and poop.
| 4 generations of Donovan men |
| My dad is funny he doesn't hold baby's but I knew if I just put Rhett on his lap he wouldn't let him fall and he would have to hold him a little. |
I LOVE his shoes!
ReplyDeleteAwhh, thanks for the post. Now I feel like I was almost there! I love that picture of the 4 generations of Donovan men. And Rhett is so so so cute - and his clothes are killer! Awesome!
ReplyDelete