On Sunday February 26th I hit my 38th week mark and at about 11:30 p.m I started to have contractions every 20 minutes. The next day I continued to have contractions but despite Spencer telling me to sit down, rest, and not do anything because I was in pain I didn't listen (so I'm kind of really stubborn). I went to the store while still having contractions 15 minutes apart. I remember a store clerk looking at me weird probably because I looked like I might fall over when one contraction hit me really hard in the bread isle. Spencer got home that day and started studying for his test which would take place the next day. You see I couldn't go to the hospital that day because even though our baby was not due until the 12th of March we had planned for 6 months to have a leap day baby, and if he came the day before then we would for sure know what a sense of humor God has, and besides the next day was free pancake day at Ihop and if I delivered then there would be no free pancakes. Anyway my contractions started to get worse but I couldn't just sit down, even though Spencer kept persisting that I do. So I went into the kitchen and finished a sewing project. The project took much longer than anticipated due to having to stop every few minutes so I could breathe through the pain in my body. At about 7:30 p.m. I told Spencer we were most likely going to go to the hospital that night and so he should probably eat something before we go. An hour later I announced he needed to take me now! He scrambled to get everything in the car, lets just say he was kind of frantic. Right before we headed to the car I made him take this picture:
I had to wait five minutes before taking the picture because my contractions had been five minutes apart for the past 20 some odd minutes so yes this picture is right in between contractions. So we headed to the hospital and we were set up in a room right away. The nurse asked when I wanted my epidural and we just laughed due to my father explaining how I needed to say "I want it now and if you don't call the doctor now I will start screaming!" But don't worry I didn't tell her that. However the anesthesiologist was there in about 15 or so minutes or at least that's what it felt like after they called him, he got me set up and I was a happy girl. At 2:45 a.m. I started to push. Spencer did great helping me I couldn't have done it without him. My doctor came in around 3:30ish and we all started to have bets on when this baby would be officially born, how much he would weigh, and whether he would have red hair. As the doctor could see his head he said "your baby does have red on his hair...but the red most likely isn't the hair that I'm seeing." He thought he was so funny. Finally at 4:19 a.m. February 28th Rhett Spencer Donovan was born weighing 6 pounds 13 ounces and 19 inches long.
We were taken up stairs to recover and try to sleep. Spencer was able to give him his first bath he loves getting his hair washed.
I know since he is not many days old that he hasn't quite woken up yet but he is really a very good baby. And I know in these pictures you cant tell but he smiles a lot. He is also a cuddly baby which is always nice. He eats about every two hours, except last night it was every three hours. That means I got a lot more sleep!
My parents came to visit us. Have I mentioned how amazing they are? Well it's true! Thanks mom and dad for the year supply of food.
Despite what some may have thought with the pictures that were sent out at the first, Rhett does not have red hair. He does have a lot of dark hair in the back and the top of his head has dark hair with blonde streaks in it. So who knows it could change any day.
Congrats!! He's so Handsome! I love the name Rhett! Good luck with the Mommy stuff!! It gets more and more fun every day. Not easy.....but worth it :)
ReplyDeleteNicole, he is so cute!! COngratulations.
ReplyDeleteDarling! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteNicole and Spencer- he is adorable! I wish I could hold him! Such great cheeks! I am glad you are getting some sleep...
ReplyDelete