Sunday, July 5, 2009

Anita

This is Anita and her family. I was watching this utube clip and she just happened to be on it. She will always be one of my biggest heroes. Let me tell you her story and you will understand why. She and her husband grew up in Uganda during the war. Anita's mother was from the "wrong" tribe. So as a little girl the soldiers lined Anita and her siblings up so they could watch them shoot her mother. Despite this, her father was a strong man and taught his children about Jesus Christ and how much he was watching over them. As a teenager she needed to get over the border to safety. So her brother put her under a pile of dead bodies in a truck so she would be safe. She was in that truck in those circumstances for several hours. Some how she escaped and an organization in the catholic church helped her get to the United States.
Anita's husband was sent to be a soldier as a child. They put a gun in his hand and taught him how to shoot. All he new as a child was how to kill. Even though he knew that he himself could be killed at any moment if he did not obey orders, as a little boy he refused to kill anyone. As a teenager one night he decided he couldn't stand it anymore and he ran. Anita explained that he ran as far and as fast as he could until he couldn't anymore. He also got a hold of the same agency that helped Anita to the United States and they helped him come to America. These two people met and shortly after were married in the catholic church.
During the summer of 2006 I worked at a group home in Salt Lake City, where I was privileged to meet Anita. Most days she would tell me different aspects of her life story. Each story was filled with experiences that no one should ever have to witness. Each time she would finish telling me her stories, she would end with bearing her testimony of her Savior. After everything Anita had gone through and witnessed she never gave up that God had a plan for her, and everything would be made right. Sometimes I would wonder if I would have that kind of faith, and she would say; "If I don't believe in my God, then what else is there?"
Many days Anita would comment on how I was different then most girls my age. She wondered why I dressed modest, or why I didn't get drunk and party all the time. She would repeat over and over again; "You have good parents." I would say "Yes I do, but they taught me these things because of the church I belong to."
That summer I was at temple square with some of my friends. And as always the Sister Missionary's attacked asking for referrals. I gave them Anita's number, but I never heard back of whether they had gone to see her. I soon moved down to school and Anita got a new job to support her family.
God works in mysterious ways. I have always wondered how she was doing or whether she let the missionary's into her home. Well apparently at some point she did. Now her faith can grow even stronger by being a member of the church. God loves us! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkTKQsYWBxc

1 comment:

  1. I remember you telling me about her. That is so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete